Saturday, April 1, 2017

(1/28) College Costs


How did college become such a social norm? I remember how my parents told me back in the day that college was something some people strived for, some didn't, and either way, it was okay. It was your own personal decision. Now, it's the standard. If you don't go to college, you're an outcast and seen as a failure.
My dad went to Florida State for a year or two and dropped out because his family just couldn't afford it. According to today's norms, he would be considered a failure, but my dad is one of the most successful people I know. The moment he found out he couldn't continue his college education, he started working and he's never stopped. He's been with the same company for almost 25 years, been able to start his own business, and support our family by giving us more than enough. He basically was and had nothing and, without college, made something out of himself and became successful.
College is now supposed to be seen as something everyone should do and needs to complete, but if this is the case, why do they make it so unattainable financially. If my dad was struggling back then to pay for a simple, non necessary college education, why would colleges continue to inflate their prices. I know so many people who receive such perfect grades, are hard workers, and want the best education, but simply just can't afford it. They deserve the best of the best and are able to reach  and have it in every way possible but have to, in the end, give up their dreams because of money.
I'm not saying college should be free, but I feel as though they should rethink their cost if they're going to stay around and determine people's futures.

No comments:

Post a Comment